Copyright has become a very complex and critical set of legal rights in our modern technological world. Our specialized lawyers in copyright are used to dealing with traditional themes, such as the protection of literature, phonograms, audiovisual works, and software. Furthermore, we are apt at protecting new themes within copyright such as eBooks, NFT Regulations, best audiovisual protection as well as strategies to avoid or block Copyright violations on the internet and others, facing new challenges daily.
Due to this, we are frequently asked to solve Copyright issues rapidly. Araripe always offers rapid, efficient, appropriate and personalized solutions to meet our clients’ demands.
What is Copyright?
Copyright in Brazil is a set of rights that encompasses an expression of the creative mind expressed in any medium or fixed in any device, tangible or intangible, recognized or invented in the future. Some examples are literature, artistic or scientific works, choreography, musical compositions, audiovisual works, drawings, paintings, sculptures, and several others. Under the Brazilian legal system, Copyright covers both patrimonial rights which relate to the exploitation of an expression, and moral rights, which relate to the ability of the creator of the work to claim authorship, to conserve its uniqueness, and its integrity, etc.
The moral rights of the creator of the expression do not have an established validity limit, being perpetual, persisting in time, from the moment of their creation and regardless of the status of public domain.
Under Brazilian law, patrimonial rights have an established validity of 70 years, counted from the 1st of January subsequent to the death of the author.
- Legal advice on third-party violation;
- Suggested necessary alterations to avoid third-party violations;
- Negotiation of bilateral agreements;
- Assessment of adequate legal measures to defend infringement claims against our client by a third-party;
- Assessment of adequate legal measures against the violation of Copyrights;
- Legal advice on the best protective strategy of Copyright;
- Infringement watch of Copyrights; and
- Overlap strategies regarding multiple protection of assets via Intellectual Property.